Our grants

The Ruth Hayman Trust awards small  grants to support the education and training of adults who have come to settle in the UK, and whose first language is not  English and cannot afford the full fees for their studies.   

We support those suffering severe financial and social hardship, in particular  refugees, asylum seekers and survivors of modern slavery, domestic violence and trafficking.

Because of such high demand for our grants, we are not accepting applications for any university course fees, unless the course leads directly to employment.   We never give grants for PhDs. 

Skills Centre-3.jpg

We award a maximum of £500, but the average is about £150.   We do not normally make more than one award per course. 





What can a grant pay for?

RHT Certificates photo.jpg
  • registration and course fees

  • exam fees

  • Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) fees

  • costs of joining professional bodies if these are essential for participation on the course.

  • dictionaries (kindly donated by Oxford University Press and sent out 4 times a year) and essential textbooks.

  • equipment essential to the course such as chef's knives, hairdresser's scissors, steel-capped boots for bricklaying apprentices

  • travel for disabled students. A letter from a doctor must be enclosed with your application.

What a grant cannot pay for 

  • travel costs (except for disabled students with an accompanying statement from a doctor)

  • computers

  • accommodation

  • childcare

  • living expenses

  • university education unless the course leads directly to employment

Payment of grants

Cheques for fees will normally be made out to colleges or other institutions.  If fees have to be paid on line we will ask you to pay yourself and send a receipt dated after your application.  We can then send you a personal cheque.

Cheques for equipment and the Rose Grant Award will usually be made personally to you.  

If you pay the fees yourself after you send your application and we send you an award, please return the cheque and send a copy of the receipt for your payment.  We will then send you a cheque in your name.  If you do not have a bank account say whose name we should put on the cheque.

We cannot accept applications where the fees have already been paid before the date of the application.

Who can apply

You may apply for a Ruth Hayman Trust grant if you:

  • are an adult who has come to settle in the UK

  • are resident in the UK, either as a citizen of the UK or EU, as a spouse or partner of a UK citizen, or as an asylum seeker, or refugee

  • can provide an academic reference, normally from someone who has taught, or currently teaches you. See Guidelines for referees

  • speak English as a second or other language; and

  • can show that you are in financial need

You cannot apply for a Ruth Hayman Trust grant if you:

  • are an undergraduate or postgraduate student unless the course leads directly to employment.

  • are in the UK as an overseas student

  • are studying on a distance learning course (unless you are completely unable to travel to a place of learning or are able to show that a distance learning course is best suited to your individual needs)


When to apply

The awards committee of the trust meets about five or six times a year.  The closing date for applications is listed on the website. We send out cheques about a month after the closing date for applications.

Apply for your course 2-3 months before your course starts.  For example, if your course starts in January, you should apply for a grant in October.


Guidelines for applicants

These guidelines contain useful tips to increase your chances of getting a grant.  Please read them carefully.


Making an application

Download an application form or apply online. 

Guidelines for referees

If you are a referee for an applicant, read these guidelines before writing your reference letter. 

Rose Grant Special Award

An additional award of up to £500 for outstanding  applicants.